Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Style Mapping

I compared three passages, two from the packet, and one book of my own. This is what I conjured up:

Cormac McCarthy's diction in Blood Meridian creates a common, harmonious sound to the passage. I fell like it could be a poem almost with it slow, music like qualities. Neil Gaiman's word choice in the passage from Stardust conveys an elevated, and straightforward read, with a very common sound that is not musical nor harsh. It seemed very exact when describing the details in the passage. Kazuo Ishiguro's diction in Never Let Me Go I would say is fancy, that might be because they talk using some British terms, but I would say its more elevated. The writing also has a sweet sound to it, and is split between denotative and connotative.

No comments:

Post a Comment